Hong Kong’s First Zero Carbon Building Utilizes Eco-Max Adsorption Chiller

Hong Kong’s Construction Industry Council (CIC) has built the ZCB, the city’s first zero carbon building, and it includes an ECO-MAX adsorption chiller in a tri-generation system that provides power, heat and cooling.

ZCB was completed in 2012 and is a pioneer project to showcase state-of-the-art eco-building design and technology for local and international audiences. It has achieved BEAM Plus Platinum status, the highest benchmark for green construction.  ZCB targets Energy Plus status, which goes beyond the conventional scope of carbon neutrality by producing more energy that its own needs on an annual basis in order to offset the embodied carbon of its construction process and major structural materials.  The two-story building in Kowloon Bay generates 70% of its electricity by using biodiesel derived from waste cooking oil. The remaining 30% come from photovoltaic panels located on the roof. The CIC projects that 8,250 tons of greenhouse gases over a period of 50 years will be prevented.

ZCG provides an education platform to showcase green building technologies and low carbon living to the industry, the public and students. It features seven key components, including a showcase of zero carbon design provisions and technologies, eco-offices, a showcase eco-home, an indoor exhibition and education space, Hong Kong’s first urban woodland, an eco-garden and an outdoor exhibition area.

The ECO-MAX adsorption chillers made by PPI save energy by using waste heat to address the facility’s air conditioning needs. Tri-generation systems that combine cogeneration with an ECO-MAX chiller enable simultaneous production of power, heat and cooling from a single heat source and result in overall system efficiency, as well as savings in capital and energy costs.

“It is an honor for PPI’s ECO-MAX chillers to be a part of such a signature project for China. In a time when products imported to the U.S.A. far exceed exports, it is refreshing to have a technology so desirable that it makes the export list and will be showcased to promote green education and a low-carbon lifestyle,” said Mike Stonecipher, PPI Business Segment Leader.

Request A Quote